Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little misfortune, but we sometimes see heat pump issues in Des Moines during the colder seasons, when they’re required to keep you comfortable. While you know the team at Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to ensure a repair is important and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve gathered this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is switched off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, return to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat turned to heat? If yes, boost the temperature by five degrees to check if it turns on.
- If everything looks accurate, inspect your heat pump switch (if it has one) and test the fuses and circuit breaker that protect the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to fail?
- Try changing the battery, if it has one.
- Inspect your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unbarred?
If you’ve gone through this checklist and you still need a heat pump fix, call Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling at 515-207-6569 and we’ll restore your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.