Whether you like winter or favor the warmer months in Des Moines, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The team at Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling in Des Moines a call to start down the right path. You can reach us at 515-207-6569 or arrange an appointment with us online.