Buying an air conditioner is one of the largest investments you’ll make in your home. It’s also an important decision, as getting the right one will help reduce your energy costs for years to come. The average air conditioner will last 10 to 20 years, so the odds are you’re going to need to replace your A/C at some point. Maybe sooner than you expect.
Here are some things to consider when purchasing a new air conditioner.
Tips for buying an air conditioner
1. Get a properly sized unit. A big mistake people make is buying too big or too small of an air conditioner. Make sure you get a unit that is properly sized for your house.
An air conditioner that is too large will turn on and off constantly, wasting energy and reducing efficiency. A small unit will have to work too hard and won’t be able to properly cool your home on hot summer days.
2. What’s the SEER rating? Air conditioners’ efficiency is measured by the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER), and all A/C units are now required to have a SEER rating of 13 or higher. The higher the SEER, the more energy efficient the unit will be.
3. Spend more now to save later. When looking at which air conditioner to buy, don’t just look at the upfront cost. A higher-efficiency model may cost more upfront, but the lifetime cost may be less because it will cost less to operate year after year.
4. Don’t forget the yearly maintenance. Many air conditioners come with a warranty, but that warranty may be void if you don’t do yearly maintenance. Signing up for a yearly maintenance plan will make sure your A/C is running well and your warranty is valid.
5. Find a reliable contractor. When it comes to finding someone to install your air conditioner, you have many choices right here in Des Moines.
Look for a contractor who won’t pressure you into making a decision right away and will give you costs upfront. Kohles & Bach will sell you the right model for your home, not the one that earns us the most profit.
Ready to talk to someone about installing a new air conditioner at your home or office? Call Kohles & Bach today at 515-207-6569