According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts should be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to contact Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling in Des Moines about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling. A yearly inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clean.
Other ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and change them when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your home.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or moist condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Des Moines home is clean. Make sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling at 515-207-6569 or schedule an appointment online.