The colder temperatures in winter usually equate to high heating bills. Does anyone know of ways to keep your home warm without raising your energy cost so much? Yes! Kohles & Bach Heating & Cooling has some ideas for you to help keep your home comfortable and your heating bills lower.
Use these tips to help increase your energy efficiency and help reduce your heating bills this winter:
- Use sunny days in Des Moines to help heat your home naturally. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds to let the sun give your furnace a little [[help|boost|break]14.
- Keep the cold air from leaking in. Seal your windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- The more you can control the temperature in your home, the more you can take control of your energy usage. A programmable thermostat will get the job done and boost your home’s energy efficiency.
- Clogged, dirty furnace filters make your furnace work more and decrease your energy efficiency. Clean or replace them every three months.
- Do a quick examination of your home. Are any vents or cold air returns blocked? Make sure they’re clear for better airflow and efficiency.
- If your furnace is more than 15 years old, start researching a new energy-efficient model. This could save you the cost of emergency repairs and will help decrease your energy bills for years to come.
- You’re probably aware that heat rises. Don’t let your heat rise so far and sneak out through the attic. Ensure your attic is well insulated to keep warm air where you need it.
- Did you know heat can escape through your roof? Check it for loose or missing shingles and holes or areas that need to be sealed.
It may seem like managing your home’s energy efficiency is a full-time job, but with these tips, it should be a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to increase your home’s energy efficiency, give us a call at 515-207-6569. We’ll help you keep your home comfortable year-round, even in the harshest Des Moines weather.